Saturday, August 27, 2011

AFC South: 2011 Outlook

I'm as excited to see what happens in the AFC South as I am about any other divisional battle in football. In 2011, The AFC South plays against a couple solid divisions - the tough NFC South and the consistently top-heavy AFC North.

1 - Houston (11-5)
It seems weird not putting the Colts atop the South in a season projection; however, The Texans have been on a team consistently getting more and more competitive in the division. Arian Foster should have another solid year on the ground; the passing game has been among the league's in elite for several years. I think Wade Phillips improves this Defense this year, and that's the difference for the Texans as they win the AFC South for the first time ever.
2 - Indianapolis (11-5)
As much as I'm expecting from the Houston Texans in 2011, I'm equally as confident in the Indianpolis Colts being contenders yet again. It remains to be seen what the situation is with Peyton Manning's nick, but signing Kerry Collins can't be a good sign for his Week 1 availability. Manning is a warrior, so I don't expect him to miss much time. I have the Texans sweeping the Colts, giving them a slight edge over Indy for the AFC South title.
3 - Tennessee (4-12)
The Chris Johnson holdout has to be getting to be a little worrisome for the Titans, though I think a new contract will be in place before Week 1. While Matt Hasselbeck should provide some stability at the QB position, I don't expect him to drastically improve this team. I'm not expecting much from this team on either side of the ball. Kenny Britt should put up good numbers if he can stay healthy and out of trouble.
4 - Jacksonville (3-13)
Though they suggest otherwise every now and again, The Jags just don't strike me as a serious contender. Maurice Jones-Drew has been among the best players at his position since he became the team's starter, but the wear and tear of recent years may be adding up. MJD played hurt much of last year, and I outside of emerging TE Marcedes Lewis, I don't expect much more out of their Offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment